Monday, March 5, 2012

A chat about the Volturi (Nora~ Twilight)

“I still do not see how this is going to work.” Charlie was saying as we drove the horses home. I had bought two beautiful Nez Perce ponies. One was a female the other it’s foul. I had remembered owning a beautiful Nez Perce horse once upon a time. When my pony had died on the trail, I was able to trade for a horse. But these horses were so much more beautiful than the one I had. “Those horses nearly would not get into the trailer for me.”

“It will work Charlie.” I said to my big brother. I had all the confidence in the world that I could tame these horses to eventually trust our kind. The Volturi did it, why couldn’t I?

“I just don’t want you to be disappointed if it doesn’t work out the way you want it too. I know how you get your heart set on things Nora.”

“Charlie, the Volturi managed it.”

“Yes, but that is the Volturi.”

“Have you ever even meant the Volturi?” I asked looking at my brother.

“No. Nor do I plan on it.”

“Why not?” I asked suddenly. I had always wondered why, I mean really why everyone was so afraid of the Volturi. They surely could not all be as bad as what everyone said. Even Carlisle had seemed to fear these Volturi and he had lived with them.

“Do you remember what Carlisle said at all about the Volturi?”

“Yes of course I do.” I said rolling my eyes. “That they had no compassion for humanity, that they were cruel and cold and blah blah blah. But Charlie, people are afraid of them, I mean there must be a reason why no one has ever tried to uproot them.”

“Someone did once. The Romanians. However you can guess how that went.”

“Because, they don’t exist anymore?” I asked.

“No they do, only their numbers are much fewer than they once were. Nora, I want you to promise me that you will never have anything to do with these Volturi.” Charlie said much to my surprise. I sighed. I couldn’t possibly promise something like that. What if I did happen to cross paths with one?

“Charlie you know I cant promise something like that.”

“Okay, than promise me you wont go searching for them.”

“I cant promise that either. They’re the only kind of law we have. What if we need them one day?”

“Nora, we’ll never need the Volturi.” Charlie said with absolute certainty.

“Never, say never.” I said quiet. “Charlie, we’re immortal and so are they. Never, is a word that should not exists for us.” Charlie sighed.

“I don’t understand why you are being so stubborn about this Nora. The Volturi are not people to be trifled with.” I shrugged.

“I just don’t want to promise you something that I may not be able to promise you. Besides, what’s important right now is getting our new horses home and in the stables.” I smiled at my brother. Charlie sighed again.

“You have a point there.” He said glancing back at the trailer where the horses currently were.

No comments:

Post a Comment