Monday, March 12, 2012

Dear America: The Land of The Buffalo Bones: Book Review

Dear America: The Land of The Buffalo Bones: The Diary of Mary Ann Elizabeth Rodgers, An English Girl in Minnesota: New Yeovil, Minnesota, 1873



Mary Rodgers follows her family to Minnesota to start a new life, but she finds Minnesota hasher than she ever image and she must find the courage and strength to face the troubles that lie ahead.

The Rodgers family leaves England where they are persecuted because of their religious background. Mary’s father is the minister of the small Baptist church that her family and friends belong too. Her father gets his whole congregation to move west in hopes of a better future. However, they find the land bleak with winter, harsh and cruel. Plus there are Native Americans at every turn. Danger seems to follow them wherever they go and eventually the Rodgers family leaves New Yeovil in search of a new home somewhere in America.

I greatly enjoyed this book as I have most of the Dear America books. It’s story was really interesting and entertaining. I found the characters very believable and the history to be quite accurate. I always enjoy the history tibits in the back of these books as well.

I also read this book as part of a Downton Abbey Reading Challenge (http://reading-extensively.blogspot.com/2012/02/2012-downton-abbey-reading-challenge.html)  I recently joined. I thought it would be an interesting twist as the character leaves England to come to America. Rather than leaving America to go to England as a few of the characters in Downton Abbey do.

I think anyone who likes this era in history and the Dear America books will enjoy this book as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment