Monday, March 12, 2012

First Day with the horses (Nora Post Twilight)

I had put my hair up off my neck, to get it out of my way. Lately, I had taken to wearing it down as seemed to be popular in the trends now a days. However, I knew that if I were to be working with horses, it would just get into my way. So I rounded it up into a braided bun at the back of my head and then down into braided pick tails and tied the braids with a ribbon I had from God knew when. I wore a pair of jeans and flannel t-shirt. My riding boots and a hat. The same hat I had worn on my trail days, Billy wasn’t the only one who had kept his things. Even my boots where the same, I popped on a pair of leather gloves, and made my way towards the barn.

“Nora. . .” Charlie started to say. I smiled at my brother. “ If it doesn’t work. . .”

“It will work, Charlie, and if it doesn’t, I will sell the horses and move on to something else. But at the moment, I think it will work.”

“I know how high you set your hopes on certain things- - -“

“Oh shut up Charlie.” I said rolling my eyes. “Give it a rest. I will be fine.” I said and gave my brother a bright smile, letting him know I wasn’t angry with him. He shook his head, but his eyes were laughing.

“Alright then, go and play with your horses.” Charlie sighed.

**********

I slowly opened the barn door to where the stables where. I found myself standing in front of the horse’s stalls. The mother horse began to freak out, I slowly began to hold out my hand but she reared back. I sighed.

“It’s alright, girl. I’m not going to hurt you.” I said very gently and quietly. My eyes were on the female’s eyes. I gently and lightly stepped towards her. Eventually, with every step as soon as she began to look into my eyes, she gradually calmed down. I stared at her for a moment, not thinking that it was going to be that easy. She gently nudged my hand for the apple in my other hand and I gently gave it to her.

“See, I told you that I wasn’t going to hurt you.” I said very softly, she looked into my eyes for a moment and reared back. I gently looked into her eyes yet again, and watched as she calmed back down. There was something in my eyes looking at her eyes. I stared at her.

“Sh..” I said gently and grabbed the bridle.

“See, that wasn’t so bad, now is it?” I asked the horse.

“Um. . . Perhaps I should name you. . . Yes a name. . . Now I need to think.” I said, gently keeping my eyes on the horses.

“No, perhaps a name shall wait. You still do not trust me yet.” I said softly, I could still sense the horse’s mistrust. I would not name her until she completely trusted me. I gently rubbed her neck.

“It will be alright. You will soon trust me.” I said softly to the horse and then silently and quietly made my way out of the barn.

No comments:

Post a Comment