Monday, March 5, 2012

The Idea of Fun (Alessandra Post)

I stood leaning up against the doorway, watching Petrus helping Skye with her homework. His big gentle hands turning the pages, I knew that being that close to her must have been driving him mad with thirst. But he was getting better at taming his desire for human blood. I wondered, clasping my hands together, if he would- - - If he truly wanted to be with me, I doubted I could be with someone who kill humans for their blood. No, I decided I could not be with someone like that. Not that I considered Petrus a monster, but it was the point of it all. He looked up to see me, and smiled.

“Alessandra! Petrus has been helping me with my homework. Where have you been? I was looking for you all day.” Skye said smiling.

“I was out.” I said simply.

“Hunting?” Skye asked. I shook my head and laughed.

“Skye, a vampire doesn’t always go out alone to hunt.”

“I know, but it seemed like the obvious thing you would be doing. What were you doing anyway?”

“I needed some space is all.” I said. In truth I had gone for a walk in the woods which had changed little since I had last been in them. I had to clear my mind. Lately all I could think about was Petrus, but at the same time the scenes from my past which I had been able to put behind me for a little while, continued to plague me. I contributed it to the fact that I suddenly was living on the very land where these scenes took place.

“Oh. You know what I think your problem is?” Skye asked.

“What?” I replied. I didn’t have the slightest idea what Skye thought my problem was. There were a million things Skye could think.

“You’re too serious. You need to have fun.”

“Fun.” I said shaking my head. I wasn’t sure if I knew how to have fun. Sure Petrus had tried to teach me how to have fun; even Alice had tried to take me shopping with her once. But, I could never concentrate on what we were doing for long. The past always crept in.

“She’s right, Alessandra. You know she is. We should do something. All three of us.” I shook my head.

“Petrus. . .” I started.

“Alessandra, come on. When was the last time you had fun?” Petrus asked. I shrugged, trying to think back through the years. Possibly, I had some fun when Petrus tried to teach me how to roller skate. But even that. . .

“Two thousand years?” Skye asked. “What did you like to do as a human?” I smirked. As a human, I loved parties, sex, clothes, shopping, being rebellious. “Come on. . . You can tell us.”

“Skye, what do you know about Ancient Rome?” I asked.

“That the Romans fought one another in big battles and that the gladiators killed the lions.”

“And that’s all?” I asked a bit stunned. Skye nodded.

“Oh and Ceasar killed Jesus.”

“That was in Jerusalem. Not Rome.”

“So it did happen?”

“Um, perhaps.”

“You’re dodging the question.” Skye said.

“What question was that?” I asked trying to play innocent.

“”What did you do in Ancient Rome to have fun?”

“I was a Priestess, we weren’t expected to have fun.” I said eyeing Petrus who smirked. I knew full well that he had been told countless times what kind of fun I had.

“Uh-uh.” Skye said. “I somehow don’t believe that.” Finally I rolled my eyes.

“I went to parties thrown by the top officials in Rome at the time, I had slept with just about everyone of those officials, rebelled against the rules of my sacred calling, kept my hair long instead of shaving it. Had sex, instead of remaining a virgin. Walked the streets at night…”

“Wow you were a rebel.”

“She still is.” Petrus said. “She doesn’t do anything Aro tells her to do.”

“Aro is not my Master. He can be everyone else’s Master. But he will <i>never</i> be mine.”

“But he isn’t that bad is he?” Skye asked. I sighed, I wasn’t sure if I could manage to have fun but if it would get Petrus and Skye to stop talking about Aro, I would try.

“What kind of fun do you have in mine Petrus?” I asked looking up at my. . . At Petrus.

“Skye?” Petrus said smiling at her.

“I think we should go out into Rome, see the sights. I mean I still haven’t seen half of the things in Rome, get something to eat. . . For me, and then watching a movie or something! Going shopping, you know having fun!” I sighed.

“Alright. Skye, how would you like to see Rome, the way Petrus and I see Rome?” I asked.

“I would love that!” Skye said happily, bouncing on her toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment