Orange Muffins with Sweet Preserves
From: The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook
Yields 12 muffins and 3 cups of preserves
2 cups flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup white sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
2/3 cup of orange juice
2 sticks of melted butter
¼ cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup orange juice
¾ cup white sugar
2 ½ cups of orange marmalade
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly oil muffin pan containing 12 regular sized muffin cups ( Joanna’s note: I highly recommend using muffin cups for this)
2. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and both sugars in a large bowl. Stir in orange juice and 1 cup of melted butter and eggs.
3. Pour batter into 12 muffins cups.
4. Blend 1 tablespoon melted butter, dark brown sugar, ground cinnamon and vanilla extract. Sprinkle on top of each muffin. Bake in oven at 350 F for 25 minutes or until inserted tooth pick comes out clean.
5. Mean while, for preserves, stir juice and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add marmalade, cloves and pumpkin pie spice; bring to boil. Reduce heat back to medium for 5 minutes and then simmer on low until mixture is reduced to 3 cups, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes. Cool. If storing, cover and chill in refrigerator. Best if made a day ahead.
(Joanna's note: Okay, so I am sure you are wondering why my muffins ended up in cups. My dad and I went to turn over the muffin pan to dump them all out, and they kinda came out crumbly. The tops broke off and then I just had the bottom of the muffin lol. So we put them in plastic cups with the preserves on top. The muffins are so yummy but very rich and filling. So I highly recommend using muffin cups instead of greasing the muffin tins.)