Monday, March 12, 2012

The Smell of Smoke (Alice Post, Twilight)

I could smell the smoke rising up from Carlisle’s ashes before it was announced that our father was dead. I felt myself whimper despite wishing to remain calm and brave. I felt Jasper squeeze my hand.

“Sh. . . It will be alright.” He whispered into my ear and I knew he was trying to keep me calm. Trying to keep all of us calm, probably trying keep

us from doing something stupid. I held his hands tightly.

“Carlisle. . .” Esme whispered. I didn’t dare to look at her for fear of breaking down myself. I kept my eyes straight forward. I knew Jasper was keeping his eyes on me. I leaned into him. What would I do if I ever lost him? Unlike Esme, I had spent time away from Jasper before I meant him. I had known about him of course from my visions. I supposed I could live without Jasper, as I had once before. But it would be terribly hard.

Esme on the other hand, had never lived without Carlisle as a vampire. I did not know how she was going to handle not having Carlisle around. Yet somehow, I knew she would endure it. She would endure it better than any of us could because she would have us with her. I closed my eyes, trying to see something of Carlisle. But he had vanished from my visions.

“Jasper. . .” I said quietly.

“Sh.” He spoke softly into my ear. “I’m right here. I am surprised they didn’t have us watch this.”

“Me too.” I said softly my eyes filling with tears, and truly I was surprised yet at the same time I was thankful. Thankful I did not have to be subject to my father’s death. I glanced over at Esme for a moment, and then back at the wall. Trying not to look at my mother in case the panic I had felt rising during this whole trip finally rose up out of me.

“Alice, I am right here.” Jasper said reassuring me. I leaned closer into him. At this point, Aro came through the arches holding a pile of belongings we knew were Carlisle’s.

“I am terribly sorry about this my dear children.” Aro said, I glared at him. “However, the Volturi do not bend the law for anyone.”

“He didn’t do anything!” Rose hissed under breath. If Aro heard this, he did not comment on it. Instead he handed Esme the box of Carlisle’s belongings. I didn’t want to see this, so I turned around and looked into Jasper’s eyes.

“Sh. . .” He said softly. I knew this was just as hard for him as it was for me. But he had at least known his real father. Carlisle was the only father I had ever had.

“Oh Jasper. . .” I said softly.

“It’s alright.” Jazz said leaning his forehead into mine. His eyes only on mine. His arms wrapped tightly around me.

“I want to go home.” I choked out looking up at him. Jazz nodded.

“We will.” He said softly. “I promise.”

No comments:

Post a Comment