Wednesday, April 4, 2012

For a horse to trust a vampire (Nora Post)

“Here girl!” I said gently holding out an apple to my tiny colt which stood next to its mother. The colt shyly nudged it’s way toward me. Then, very gently nibbled at the apple. I slowly held out my hand to the colt. She backed away at first, then came forward to bite the apple, backed away again, and then came forward and nudged my hand. I smiled. Finally! The baby was letting me pet her. After almost a week of having her, she was starting to trust me. Now if I could just get her mother to let me touch her. I would dearly love to ride again. I thought gently stroking the colt’s nose.

“Aw, see, I won’t hurt you girl.” I said ever so gently, and then softly decided to try and lead the colt out into my ring. She followed slowly as I coxed her the apple. Then, she let me lead her around the ring. I grinned when she nudged me for the apple.

“See, that wasn’t so bad now was it?” I asked and she naed softly. “Now I may need to start thinking of a name for you little one.” I said giving her the apple. “Every animal or being needs one. And you didn’t come with one.” I smiled while the baby colt nudged me under my arm, wanting some attention. I laughed. “oooh, getting greedy are we?” I said softly.

About that time, the mare suddenly decided to make her presence known. Whether it was because she couldn’t stand being away from her colt or because she was curious, it was hard to tell. But she trotted over to me.

I slowly looked into the mare’s eyes as she stood several feet away from me at first. “Come on.” I said softly holding out my hand. “I’m not going to hurt you anymore than I will your colt.” I spoke softly. I waited very still for several minutes before the mare made her move. She slowly trotted towards me. Then stopped, than came forward a few inches more. Finally, she nudged me.

“Oh yay! See, you don’t need to be afraid of me!” I said happily stroking her long silky mane. She was such a beautiful horse.

“And one day, I’m going to ride you. But not just yet I think.” I said and my mare naed in agreement. That was when I heard laughter coming from behind me.

“How did you do that?” Charlie asked standing outside the ring as to not upset the horses. I shrugged.

“Well, I always did have a way with animals. Even when I was a human.” I said hotly. It was clear my brother had thought I couldn’t train these animals.

“I suppose that is true.” Charlie said still staring at me with awe as if he couldn’t quite believe what I had accomplished.

“She still wouldn’t trust me enough to let me ride her. But perhaps in time. . .” I said.

“Nora, I bet that horse would let you ride her by the week’s end.” Charlie said. I stared at him for a moment and shrugged. It wasn’t up to me; it was up to the mare of course. But I would so dearly love to ride her.

“Maybe- - - I would love to ride her. Yes I would.” I said softly to the mare. “One day girl. . . One day we’ll feel the wind in our hair and ride over the mountains.” I had by the time I found Charlie become an excellent rider, and it had nearly killed me to know I would never ride again. But now, almost 150 years later, I may be able to have that small joy again. I dearly hoped so.

No comments:

Post a Comment