Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A strange man in a coffee shop (Rebecca Twilight Post)


“…. And what was the difference between the pilgrims that settled James Town and the Pilgrims that settled Boston?” Mr. Brimes was asking. I rolled my eyes and looked over at my best friend.

“One set had Witches and the other where Christians.” I whispered to Piper who laughed.

“You are insufferable.” She whispered right back.

“Well it is true.”

“I dare you to say that to Mr. Brimes.” Piper said. I shook my head she knew I couldn’t. She also was one of the only people in the room that knew what I was. However we had been best friends since we were in diapers and you cant keep secrets from your best friend like that. Besides, her mother was a witch and so was Piper.

“You know I cant Piper. They’d have our heads if I did. Besides, he wouldn’t believe me. The Pilgrims couldn’t possibly have witches among them.” I said.

“True to that. I propose that we skip the next class and go and get coffee. I’m practically asleep as it is.”

“Because we stayed up all night reading Jane Austen.” I laughed.

“Miss Owens, do you have something to share with the class?” Mr. Brimes asked. Piper giggled and I glared at her.

“No sir, only--- I was wondering what you thought of Jane Austen?”

“That is not a suitable topic Miss Owens. We were discussing----“ I drowned him and rolled my eyes looking back down at the book I had hidden inside my history book. It was much more interesting the history of Boston which I already knew. Of course my story of it was very different from Mr. Brimes. History books never got it right.

********************************

“Mr. Brimes is absolutely awful.” Piper said sipping on her cappuccino. I nodded.

“He’s not the worst of them.” I said trying to give Mr. Brimes something. Though I couldn’t think of anything off the back that would make him better than some of the others.

“True. Oh look It’s Tyler and Noah.” Piper said motioning for our friends to join us.

“Black Rebel Motorcycle is coming to town and look who scored tickets!” Noah said popping four tickets down on the table.”

“Front row and back stage passes for all four of us!” Noah exclaimed, excitedly. I smirked; I wondered how he could always have so much energy. Even at 9am in the morning.

“How many cups of coffee have you had Noah?” Piper asked.

“Seven, why?”

“No reason.” She laughed.

“So--- are we excited or what?”

“Oh totally. The band is awesome I cant wait!” I said sitting my drink down on the table next to my kindle.

“Who is that man, Becky?” Piper suddenly asked.

“What man?” I asked. Now staring about the coffee shop. I saw no one that I should be worried about. Of course I never really paid attention to people. I was used to being invisible to them and hanging with my small group of friends.

“That man, in the corner. The strange one with---“

“With what?” I asked looking into the corner and then staring. I dropped the ticket I held in my hands. “The strange man with the pale skin?” I asked softly and Piper nodded. “We’re leaving.” I said looking at Noah and Tyler.

“Is he---“ Piper asked and I nodded.

“I don’t know why you are so upset. We could totally take him. I mean you know I have a black belt.”

“No, you couldn’t take him. Believe me, Tyler.” I said softly taking his hand and practically dragging him out of the coffee shop and into the streets where I hailed a taxi. I had to talk to my father about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment