Saturday, July 14, 2012

Bubble Bubble Coffee (becky post twilight)

I knew I should be in class. I should totally be in class in fact because I had a quiz today. Yet the quiz didn’t seem to matter. Besides it was just history and I could totally make up that quiz. I was really good at history. The class at the moment, just didn’t seem important. And the best thing about college was, you could skip a class and no one really gave a damn.

Well, okay they did. But they didn’t call home and tell your parents you weren’t in class much less write you up for it or try and punish you like they did in High School. College and high school were totally different and I hoped I never had to set foot in another high school until (if the time ever came) I had children of my own who where in high school. 

The fact was, I had hated high school. To put it simply, my parents were surprised I even bothered to graduate and when I did, they insisted on putting on a great show of it and throwing me a wild open house. Full of our kind of people of course clashing with normal humans. We still referred to the non witchy population as humans. We didn’t consider ourselves very human because we were special. You know different. We had gifts. Magic gave us power and therefore set us apart from the rest of society. 

However, none of that seemed to really matter to my history professor who couldn’t make Napoleon’s War interesting if he tried. And frankly, I was bored with his class anyway. So instead, I found myself in my favorite coffee shop, (Which I might add was jeered towards college students. It even gave you a student discount!) Reading my Aunt Rebecca’s journals instead of going to class. 

June 25, 1952,

Today, I saw him! He was following me home from my archeology class. We were studying about Ancient Egypt, which I find very fascinating, and the fact that one of these beings decided to follow me home afterwards, was rather disturbing. I tried to elude him. But he continued to follow me and finally after several blocks I was able to lose him. Or so I thought.

When I got home with my sister, he was there. Standing below my bedroom beside the apple tree. We decided not to tell our parents… 


I frowned. Aunt Rebecca had not told her parents about Riston. Perhaps that was where I had failed. 

June 29, 1952,

He is still there. Under my room, leaning up against the tree. I have not yet meant him. Rowena says that I must not meet him. She believes that when I do, it will be the end of me. Or the end of who I am right now. But I cant help it. There is something about him that draws me to him. I cant help but stare at him. He’s very handsome. I don’t think he’s as cruel as my family history would have me believe. Rowena says she is going to cast a protection spell on the house. I told her not to bother. It Riston wants me, he’ll come for me one way or another.
 

I couldn’t help but stare over at the far corner where I knew Riston was lurking. I wondered now if maybe he had lured my aunt to him. Had he charmed her? Had she willingly gone to him? Was she still--- Was she now a vampire because of him? And if she was, wouldn’t that be better than death? Or would it? I shook my head. Now, I was questioning my humanity. That was not good. I absolutely did not want to become a monster like Riston. I didn’t want to be a vampire. Immortality was simply not for me.

I tried taking a sip of my coffee but it had turned stoned cold and I watched as it slowly began to bubble up. I couldn’t help but smile. Sometimes having a talent for magic was really awesome. Especially when you could will things to being that you wanted. Like coffee turning from cold to warm in seconds without a microwave. 

I looked over into the corner of the coffee shop to see Riston staring at me. I wondered how he saw me perform my special little trick. But it was clear that he did. I was going to have to be more careful from now on. It was clear he was watching me for my gifts. I looked back over at my coffee and then back to him. Yes, it was time to go. I shifted in my seat and decided to leave. I wasn’t going to get into trouble with him. But at the same time, I wasn’t going to shy away from using my gifts. I had practiced them to perfection and some crazy old vampire wasn’t going to keep me from that one little spotlight in my life. I glared back over at him as I shut the door behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment