Quick Coffee Cake
(From: Molly's Cookbook: American Girl)
Shortening to grease pan
1 ½ cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons shortening
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 tabelspoon butter
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
(Makes 6 servings)
1. Preheat the oven to 435 degrees F. Use paper towels to grease the baking pan with shortening.
2. Put the sifter into the medium mixing bowl. Measure the flour, baking powder, and salt into the sifter and sift them into the bowl.
3. Measure 3 tablespoon of shortening into the large micking bowl. Have an adult help you use the electric mixer to beat the shortening until it is creamy.
4. Slowly add the sugar to the shortening and beat until fluffy. Turn off the mixer. Scrape the sides of the bowl with the rubber spatula.
5. Crack the egg into the large mixing bowl. Add the milk. Beat well with electric mixer, and then turn off the mixer. Scrape the sides of the bowl with the rubber spatula.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the large mixing bowl. Stir them with the wooden spoon just enough to get them completely wet. Pour the mixture into the greased baking pan.
7. Melt the butter in the saucepan over low heat.
8. Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Stir in the melted butter.
9. Sprinkle this micture over the batter in the baking pan.
10. Bake the coffee cake for 25 minuets or until golden brown.
11. Have an adult remove the coffee cake from the oven. Let it cool for a few minuts, cut it into the pieces, and serve.