Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Why and How (Bella Post)


I waited until Dr. Cullen was busy with Tyler and Charlie was signing my release papers until I cornered Edward Cullen.

“Hey!” I said trying to get Edward’s attention. He turned to face me. “Can I talk to you?” I asked. He stepped away from me as if I was something he didn’t want to be near and I frowned. If I was so displeasing to him, I wondered why he saved my life?

“Isn’t your father waiting for you?” Edward asked, his eyes narrowing and his jaw set. I looked back towards Charlie and then in the ER where Dr. Cullen was talking to Tyler.

“Can I talk to you alone for a minute?” I asked pressing the matter. Edward glared at me. Then turned and began to walk down the hallway. Leading me into a hallway where no one was. I practically had to run to keep up with him. I couldn’t help but wonder how he could move so inhumanly fast.

“Well? What do you want?” He asked through clenched teeth and in a cold voice.

“I want an explanation.” I said leaning up against the wall.

“I don’t owe you an explanation. I saved your life. You should be thanking me instead.” He snapped his eyes turning cold.

“Look, I don’t like to lie unless I have too. So I would like to know why I am lying and there better be a good reason for it too.” I finally said flinching slightly at the coldness in Edward’s manner.

“Bella, you hit your head pretty hard. You probably don’t know what you are talking about.” Edward said his voice still cold and hard but there was firmness in it. As if he was willing me to believe what he was saying. However, I knew what I saw and I was perfectly fine and sane. I was growing tired of people telling me how hurt my head should be.

“My head is just fine!” I snapped. Edward sighed.

“What do you want Bella?” He asked again.

“I want to know the truth!” I said feeling my cheeks burn with anger. I was getting annoyed with his refusal to tell me what I wanted to know. Needed to know really.

“What do you think you saw?” Edward asked instead of telling me how he stopped the van. I frowned.

“You were at the other end of the parking lot when Tyler’s van started to come at me. Tyler didn’t see you either and yet you stopped the van from crushing not only me, but you too. And probably killing Tyler as well. There was a dent in Tyler’s van from where you stopped it.” I was getting mad because I knew I sounded insane and I knew Edward was going to try and play with that. Tears started to come because I was mad and I had to struggle to keep them back. “You practically lifted the van up and you arent hurt. Yet you should be---“ I said trailing off.

“You think I stopped a van for you with my hands?” Edward asked in a disbelieving voice. I simply nodded mutely.

“Well no one is going to believe you.” He said shaking his head.

“I know.” I said my shoulders slumping. “ I wasn’t going to tell anyone.”

“Than why does it matter?” He asked.

“It matters to me because I don’t like to lie to anyone---“

“Look, cant you just thank me and be done with it?” Edward said now sounding utterly annoyed. I frowned for a moment. I supposed I did owe him at least that.

“Thank you.” I muttered.

“You arent going to let this go are you.”

“No.” I said through clenched teeth, scowling at him. “Why did you even bother?” I asked and swung around, walking away before he could answer. I was so mad, that it took me several minutes to calm down before I reached Charlie.

(This scene is taken from the book but may differ slightly)

No comments:

Post a Comment