Monday, August 6, 2012

China Orange Jelly For Mrs. Norris’ Maid

I have been meaning to post all week but I havent had the time. I know, I say that all the time. But Life tends to get really busy for me during the week. Anyway, I am really going to try and post more.

I stated a little while ago that I was going to try and post some things from the Regency Period in honor of American Girls' new doll coming out. So as promised. Here is an interesting recipe I found from Tea with Jane Austen by Kim Wilson. I havent tried it yet. But it looks pretty simple and easy. And it looks like it might taste good too. Here it is!



China Orange Jelly For Mrs. Norris’ Maid

Ingredients;

3 tablespoons granualted gelatin

½ cup white sugar or more to taste

1 cup boiling water

4 cups orange juice (Strained of pulp)

1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon and mace (Mace can be subistated for nutmeg)

Very fine parings of orange zest (optional)

Directions:

1. Dissolve the geltatin and sugar in the boiling water, stirring until completely dissolved (about five minuets)

2. Stir in the orange juice and spices, then strain the mixture through a jelly bag or fine mesh strainer.

3. Chill until just slightly thickened (no more than an hour

4. Then fold in the orange zest.

5. Pour the mixture into a mold or individual dishes

6. Chill 6 hours or until completely set

(Taken from Tea with Jane Austen by Kim Wilson page; 70)


No comments:

Post a Comment