Monday, August 6, 2012

Homesick (Nora Post)


“Nora! Darling! It’s been so long.” My friend and co-gang member said embracing me with a hug. I laughed as she bounced out of my arms and looked me over. “You havent changed a bit have you?” She said now with a twinkle in her dark eyes.

“Of course not!” I said smiling at Regina. Her dark skin shining under the night lights. I never knew how she managed to keep it so shinny without giving away that she was a vampire.

“I hear Charlie has a new gig going on. How is that going?” Regina asked, and I shrugged. We had been in the Smoky Mountains for little over four weeks now and Charlie had managed to swindle well over a million dollars out of his specters. Of course, if they guessed what was going on, they sure didn’t act like it. They just kept coming back to see the horses race. It was all rather stupid.

“I guess its going good.” I muttered. I was so tired of Charlie and his games. I wished he would settle down. He had lots of girl friends. Why not mate with one? I thought.

“You don’t sound very happy about it.” Regina knew me well. I laughed.

“I’m not. I guess. I’m just homesick. I miss Colorado.” I said bending down to tie my shoe laces that had come on done during our walk.

“Why not go back then? You know, just because he’s your brother doesn’t mean you have to do what he wants.”

“It’s not that. Its more. Charlie needs me here right now to train the horses.” I said with a shrug standing up.

“Train the--- Wait you can train horses?” Regina asked in surprised. I nodded.

“Pretty wild uh?” I asked.

“But how? Animals don’t like our kind.”

“I don’t know. I’ve always been able to get animals to come up to me. Even before I was a vampire, I had a knack for getting animals to trust me. Animals and kids.” I said with a simple shrug.

“I do seem to remember that. But, you really can tame horses?” Regina asked again and I nodded.

“Want to see?” I asked climbing up on the white fence and calling my mare’s name. The mare trotted right over to me, as usual. “There’s a good girl. No, its okay. Regina wont hurt you.” I said gently petting the mare’s head.

“Wow, that’s amazing.” Regina said shaking her head standing a good few feet away, so not to scare Angel. “ I see why Charlie wanted to do this gig now.”

“I can ride her too.” I said climbing up onto Angel bare backed.

“I have no doubt.” Regina said laughing now as I took off across the pasture. I really needed the break and I didn’t want to tell Regina how much, I truly wasn’t enjoying this. Angel knew of course. She naed at me as we came to a slow stop by a stream.

“I know girl. We’ll keep him happy for a little while longer and then we’re going home.” I said stroking her mane and not for the first time wishing I was back home in Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment