Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Subject of Sue Clearwater (Bella Twilight Post)


Charlie pulled out a can beer and sat back on the couch watching football with Elizabeth curled up next to him and smiled at me.

“I know you don’t like football. But I’m glad you decided to come and watch the game with me Bells.”

“Anything to spend time with my Dad.” I joked opening up a coke, and digging into the bowl of potato chips Charlie had on the coffee table.

“I mean it Bella, I’m glad you decided to visit today.” Charlie said, and I frowned. Normally Charlie didn’t repeat things he said unless something was bothering him. Elizabeth crawled up onto his lap gurgling at him and I laughed.

“I miss spending time with you is all.” I said shrugging. Which was the truth. I felt like I hadnt spent enough time with my Dad lately. Of course he had been spending an awful lot of time with Sue. Not that it bothered me. I was happy for him really I was. There was someone else in his life to cook for him and take care of him. I mean, before all he had was me. And well, now that I was gone….

“So, what do you think of Sue?” Charlie asked as if he was reading my mind. I stared at him for a moment then shrugged.

“I dunno Dad. She’s nice.” I said. The truth was, I honestly didn’t know Sue very well. I knew that she was Seth and Leah Clearwater’s Mom and that was about it. In fact, come to think of it, I was pretty sure I never had a full blown conversation with her. Sure maybe a few words here and there. But nothing major. But I got it. I was part of the enemy clan. Werewolves vs. Vampires and all that. But it did make wonder where my Dad fit into all this.

“Come on Bella. You’ve got to have some sort of opinion on her.” Charlie persisted.

“Dad, honestly, I don’t. The truth is, I don’t really know here very well. But if you like her, which I think you do. Then I am happy for you.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?” I asked.

“Oh, I dunno. I guess, you left when Renee married Phill. So I thought—“

“Really Dad? I didn’t leave because Mom married Phill. I like Phill. He’s a great guy. But Mom was unhappy being away from him and she needed to be with him. Plus they wanted to travel. Its kinda hard to travel with a kid in toe. So I came here. I told you that. Besides, I’m not going anywhere for a while yet.”

“So even if I married her you wouldn’t mind?” Charlie asked.

“No Dad, I wouldn’t mind. Why are you thinking about marrying her?”

“I dunno yet.” Charlie said with a shrug. “But I needed to get your opinion before I decided anything.”

No comments:

Post a Comment